September 21-23, 2017
The Loyola Dramatic Voice Symposium brings together world-renowned artists and teachers in the field of opera to present master classes and lectures for young dramatic singers and teachers of voice. The symposium will help young dramatic singers with their unique needs, including vocal technique, coaching, acting, career development, repertoire, and vocal health. The symposium will also present a wealth of information for teachers of voice who wish to learn more about how to develop and foster young dramatic voices within their own studios. Register online by clicking here.
- Greer Grimsley, bass-baritone
- Luretta Bybee, mezzo-soprano
- Keith Chambers, conductor and vocal coach
- Brenda Harris, soprano
- Melanie Helton, soprano
- Vanessa Uzan, artist management, Uzan International Artists
- The Symposium Registration fee is $75 per person.
- This fee includes admittance to all lectures, master classes, and the final gala performance.
- No audition is required to attend the symposium.
- Register online by clicking here.
Anyone who wishes to sing in the master classes must audition. The following are the audition requirements:
- Be a singer between the ages of 20-35.
- Register for the Symposium and include a link to a performance video in your online registration. The performance video must consist of three contrasting arias.
- Submit two letters of recommendation to Dr. Tyler Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The deadline to receive all materials is September 1, 2017.
- If selected to sing in the masterclass, the singer must pay an accompanist fee of $50.
Audition materials will be reviewed by the symposium panel, and performers will be notified of their status by September 7th.
There will be a total of four master classes and three lectures given by the featured artists.
Thursday, September 21st
10:00-12:00 Repertoire for the dramatic voice with Keith Chambers
2:00-4:00 Master class with Luretta Bybee
6:30-8:30 Master class with Melanie Helton
Friday, September 22nd
10:00-12:00 Vocal Health with Tyler Smith
2:00-4:00 Master class with Brenda Harris
Saturday, September 23rd
10:00-12:00 The “ins and outs” of a career in opera
Luretta Bybee, Greer Grimsley, Melanie Helton, Brenda Harris, Keith Chambers and Vanessa Uzan
2:00-4:00 Master class with Greer Grimsley
7:30-9:00 Loyola Meets the Met Opera Gala