The Keyboard Department offers professional training for students seeking a career in the performance and/or teaching areas. We are committed to the development of every student in their knowledge and experiences pertaining to their goals. Students receive individual attention through private instructions, ensemble coaching, and musicianship classes.
We offer many performance opportunities throughout the year in our concert halls, where we host two Steinway concert grands and a Bössendorfer imperial grand. Through assistant teaching and accompanying, students gain real life experiences outside of the classrooms.
Piano students at Loyola can choose from many degree programs, including piano performance, music industry, music education, and music therapy.
Keyboard Guest Artist Series
Loyola's Keyboard Department brings in a wide variety of piano performers, educators, and theorists to host concerts, masterclasses, and workshops with students. In addition, our keyboard concert series features national and international guest artist and faculty that provide our students with a broader exposure and experiences on teaching and performing.
2017-2018 Keyboard Series Events include:
- November 3-4, 2017 Dr. Sookkyung Cho (Grand Valley State University)
- January 20-21 Piano Alumni Weekend Guest Artist: Dr. Logan Skelton
- February 4, 2017 Dr. Brian Hsu
- April 11 - 12 Dr. Ronald Chioldi (Northeastern State University)
Notable alumni of the Keyboard Department include:
- Logan Skelton Professor of Piano, University of Michigan, Loyola Class of ’81
- Robert Roux Professor of Piano and Chair of Keyboard Department, The Shepherd School of Music, Rice University, Loyola Class of ’70
- Sean Duggan Associate Professor of Piano, SUNY Fredonia, Loyola
Dr. Brian Keng-Lun Hsu
Assistant Professor of Classical Piano
Dr. Marcus St. Julien
Extraordinary Professor of Organ, Theory, and Voice
Ms. Karen Barbalich Smith
Director of Preparatory Arts Program, Group Piano
Mr. Matt Lemmler
Instructor of Jazz Piano
Ms. Yui Asano
Coordinator of Accompanying