About the Department of Bands

The New Orleans Conservatory of Music and Dramatic Art was founded in 1919 by Dr. Dernest E. Schuyten, of New Orleans. In September 1932, the Conservatory affiliated with Loyola University and became the College of Music of Loyola University.

In the early 1940s the band was established under the direction of Benjamin Samuel Konikoff. Later that decade, John B. Whitlock became the director of the bands. In the early 1950s, the former trumpet instructor Georage A. Jansen took over as director of bands. In the 1960s, the band directorship then passed on to Dr. Joseph Hebert, who is still the current head of the departmnet.

The band department houses two groups: the University Band and the Wind Ensemble:

  • The Concert Band focuses equally upon standard large band repertoire along with carefully selected transcriptions. Membership in this ensemble is open to all university students by audition.
  • The Wind Ensemble is a highly selective student ensemble performing standard and contemporary wind repertoire suited to the reduced instrumentation of the ensemble. Membership is by audition.

Notable alumni

 

Give Now